Special Use Permits

A special use permit is an authorization for a property owner to develop a use that is only allowed when developed under certain specific conditions. Specially permitted uses are those which are generally compatible with the land uses permitted in a given zoning district with an individual review of location, design, and configuration to ensure the appropriateness of the use.

The issuance of a special use permit is discretionary and not a matter of right. All privileges granted pursuant to a special use permit shall be exercised within 12 months of granting the special use permit unless otherwise provided. Failure to exercise within 12 months will terminate said special use permit. Annual renewal of a special use permit is not required. However, any expansion in use shall require a new special use permit application. The procedure for an expansion of use shall be the same as set forth for a special use permit. Any conditions attached to the special use permit by the planning commission must be continually upheld as long as the special use permit remains active. Failure to comply with the conditions may result in termination of the special use permit.

There are four categories of special use permits:

  • Minor: Primarily used for certain Home-based businesses.
  • General: May have impacts on the community such as minor aggregate operations.
  • Major: This application is for all major projects where significant research and review of the application, conceptual plans, etc. must be completed by the planning staff and other County departments and
    agents, as assigned, in order to determine the impacts on the environment, roads and/or community
    such as energy production and manufacturing.
  • Administrative special use permit: Administrative special use permits are issued by the Planning Director (see 16.08.080(L)).

See Title 16.08.080(C) and Title 16.08.250 for the uses that require a Special Use Permit.

Applications for a Special Use Permit are available on our Forms page under Land Use. Please come by the Planning Department to discuss your specific need before filing any application.