On Feb. 3, the Nevada Department of Transportation installed the new temporary traffic signal at the intersection of U.S. 50 and Sheckler Cut-Off in west Fallon. The goal of the temporary traffic signal is to provide more designated turns to the highway and help reduce crashes.
NDOT has also fast-tracked Phase One development of a permanent traffic signal at the intersection of U.S. 50 and Sheckler Cut Off by:
- Identifying all utilities in the area to reduce conflict with the new permanent signal infrastructure.
- Completing a geotechnical analysis of area soils to determine the needed sizes of signal and light pole foundations.
- Finalizing the engineering design of the new signal.
Phase 2 of construction:
- Many traffic signal components such as poles and mast arms are custom-manufactured to fit the specific intersection where they will be installed. Many of these custom-fabricated components have a production and manufacturing lead time of six months or more. The signal poles for the Sheckler intersections have been ordered and are scheduled to arrive this summer.
- Preliminary construction work to install signal pole foundations and other improvements in advance of the signal installation is anticipated to take place by early summer.
- The permanent traffic signal itself is planned for installation in late summer 2020.
Motorists are reminded to drive safely and attentively, following all traffic signage. Drivers should be prepared to stop at the signal and leave extra time to travel through the intersection.